- Creating expert systems that exhibit intelligent behaviour to learn, demonstrate, explain and provide user advice.
- Achieving human intelligence in machines that will enable them to understand, think, learn, and behave like humans.
- Gaming: AI has a crucial role in strategic games that involve machines to think of several possible positions based on heuristic knowledge.
- Natural Language Processing: AI makes it possible to interact with computers that understand the language spoken by humans.
- Expert Systems: AI can develop applications that provide reasoning, explanation and user advice.
- Speech and Handwriting Recognition: AI can develop some intelligent systems that can hear and comprehend language and its meaning. In addition, AI can also be applied to develop handwriting recognition software that can read and recognize text and convert into editable text.
- Robots: AI Robots have sensors to detect data from real world, efficient processors, and huge memory to exhibit intelligence.
- Knowledge engineering is a core part of AI research. Machines can act and react like humans only if they have abundant information relating to the world. AI must have access to objects, categories, properties and relations between all of them to implement knowledge engineering.
- Machine learning is another important part of AI. Learning without any kind of supervision requires an ability to identify patterns in streams of inputs. Whereas, learning with adequate supervision involves classification and numerical regressions. Machine perception deals with the capability to use sensory inputs to deduce the different aspects of the world, while computer vision is the power to analyse visual inputs with a few sub-problems such as facial, object and gesture recognition.
- Robotics is also a major field related to AI. Robots require intelligence to handle tasks such as object manipulation and navigation, along with sub-problems of localization, motion planning and mapping.